The pet dog or cat named in the policy schedule for the cost of fees incurred as the result of veterinary treatments for injuries resulting from an accident up to a limit of R20 000 per event per annum.
Who can join?
Any cat or dog older than 8 years that is kept as a household pet in the RSA. All vaccinations must be up to date at the time of joining.
What is covered?
For the purposes of this policy, an accident must be a direct consequence of at least one of the following:
- A motor vehicle accident
- A burn or electrocution
- A fall from an elevated position
- A near drowning
- The actions of another animal
- A swallowed or embedded foreign object requiring surgical or endoscopic removal
- A snake bite
- An allergic reaction to an insect bite other than tick or flea bites. Biliary (tick bite fever / bosluiskoors) is covered as an accident
Or an accident in any event that results in;
- A fractured bone.
- A puncture
- A traumatic ligament or tendon injury
- Lacerations, abrasions or wounds
NOT covered under this policy:
- Any sickness, disease, infection or any change in a pets health which is not caused by an accidental injury
- Any invoices submitted more than 60 days after the date of last treatment.
- The costs for any treatments for injuries incurred outside of the Republic of South Africa.
- Any treatment by person/s not registered with the South African Veterinary Council.
- Any allergic reaction to a vaccine or medication.
- Any surgical items that can be used more than once. These are non-chargeable items.
- The costs of any prosthesis, implants or transplantation
- Any injury caused by negligence. P.Uma will report all abuse to the S.P.C.A.